Silver has long been used for its antimicrobial properties to prevent and treat a variety of diseases and most notably infections. For many years silver solutions have been used effectively in medicine and charged silver solutions have since the 1920’s been approved by the FDA for use as antibacterial agents.
The safety of using silver solutions has been disputed in the past; however, if silver solutions are manufactured in the correct environment and according to the correct specifications the safety of the product cannot be refuted.
A brief history of silver
- The ancient cultures of Greece, Rome, Phoenicia and Macedonia all relied on silver to keep the healthy.
- Around 400BC, Hippocrates, the “Father of Medicine” taught that silver supports the healing process.
- During the Middle Ages, upper class Europeans used silver utensils and goblets, ensuring the safety of their food and water.
- Silver lined the water vessels of the armies of Tsar Alexander as they fought Napoleon.
- In America’s Old West, it was common practice to drop silver coins into drinking water barrels to prevent the water from spoiling.
- Previously a silver coin was placed on a babies naval after the umbilical cord was cut thus preventing infection.
- As recently as the 1930’s colloidal silver was the preferred choice of physicians for empowering the immune system and supporting the body’s innate healing process.
- NASA uses silver in the water purification systems of the space shuttle and international space station.
- Up until the 1970’s, surgical equipment was made from silver.
During the 1930’s silver was used internally and externally to treat a variety of medical conditions but with the discovery of penicillin and the fact that silver had become an expensive commodity, colloidal silver fell into disuse. In the 1970’s however, interest in Silver was rekindled as a result of its usefulness in treating burns. Silver can be used on large areas of the body. In certain forms it is non-toxic and non-stinging (It can even be used in the eyes).
How does colloidal silver benefit you?
Bacteria are single celled “animals”. They do not have lungs with which to breathe, so they depend on attaching themselves to certain enzymes in order to get the oxygen they require to live and thrive. Silver acts upon these enzymes and prevents the bacteria from breathing, thus suffocating them.
The unique property of colloidal silver is that on the one hand it is toxic to single celled microbes (including bacteria, virus and fungus), and on the other hand it helps with the healing process of human tissue, this is the reason it is so helpful in the treatment of burn wounds and cuts and scrapes.
- Anti-Fungal Activity
- Significant Immune Boosting Qualities
- Anti-Inflammatory Activity
- Acute toxicity tests reported Silverlab Colloidal Silver to be non-toxic
- 30 day toxicity tests reported Silverlab Colloidal Silver to be non-toxic
- Chronic toxicity tests (92 day rats) reported Silverlab Colloidal Silver to be non-toxic
No toxicity reported. Significant tests were also concluded by the SABS.
Why silver is good for you
The potent antimicrobial property of charged silver exists in nature as only one part per 100 million of elemental silver and is an effective antimicrobial in a solution. Free silver ions, are known to be the active antimicrobial agent. In order to achieve an antimicrobial effect, silver ions must be available in solution at the microbial surface. Efficancy depends on the aqueous concentration of these ions.
Silver ions appear to kill micro-organisms instantly by blocking the respiratory enzyme system (energy production), as well as altering microbe DNA and the cell wall. Silver ions appear to block T Cell receptors on the HIV virus. Silver Ions also appear to stop the HIV RNA from being able to unravel.
Let us consider two aspects of Silverlab Colloidal Silver here:
1). Toxicity/ Safety
(All references are on file and available on request.)
Is colloidal silver safe?
Colloidal silver can be taken internally and applied topically. It is non-toxic in the correct concentration and no drug interactions have been reported. It can be used to assist in the treatment of a number of conditions or taken as a preventative measure.